News‎ > ‎

Healthier Kids Drink (water) - For Their Hydration

posted Jun 26, 2015, 5:48 PM by Drink Blocks   [ updated Jun 26, 2015, 5:49 PM ]

A study recently published in the 'Nutrition Journal' stated that children between the ages of 4 and 13 should be consuming 4 to 6 cups of water per every 1,000 calories they eat. Around 75% of dietary water comes from beverages and the remaining 25 percent comes from moisture in foods.



Yet only one in four U.S. children are getting the amount they need. Even mild dehydration can lead to health problems and trouble concentrating. For many parents, however, which drinks to offer their kids — and how to get their kids to drink them — can sometimes be a dilemma.



Here are a some ways to keep kids happily hydrated:



 Best Served Cold — The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said to make more appealing serve your kids drinks that are chilled or cold. When they are feeling warm or hot from playing, there is nothing more satisfying than a cold beverage.


• Avoid the Caffeine — Soda may be a liquid, but it’s actually dehydrating (not to mention Soda is sugar-filled). A common ingredient in soft drinks is caffeine, which is a diuretic, causing a loss of fluids. Let's not forget to mention that Soda is filled with sugar and also contain ingredients that offer no nutritional value. 


• Eat more Fruit — Fruit is a great way to help meet hydration needs, especially water-dense strawberries, grapefruit, cantaloupe, peaches, pineapple and, naturally, watermelon. Please remember that beverages advertised as 'Fruit Juice Drinks' can be just as sugar-filled as their Soda counterparts.


• Keep Water handy and within reach - Carry water or another healthy drink wherever you go so it's available when they are thirsty.  Leave water bottles in the car.  Keep a bottle in your bag or backpack.  Chances are they’ll drink water more often when it's right in front of them.



To further encourage kids to be sufficiently hydrated, don't make it into a chore. If you can make it fun and make it be naturally part of their routine, your kids will stay hydrated naturally.